One question you could be asked is whether or not you want to join a management committee. This could lead to an amazing experience where you can gain insights into how to run an organization. The thing is, however, you may have never heard of a management committee before. Or you have, but never understood what they do.
So, what is a Management Committee?
Every incorporated association has a select group of people who are tasked to manage the organization and ensure that everything is running smoothly. This function in much the same way as a Board does on a company. Often larger organizations will opt to use the term Board but still give the same responsibilities as a committee.
With a management committee; The main roles are:
- Managing the association’s financial affairs and maintaining its financial viability
- Ensuring the association acts in accordance with its objects or purposes, and
- Meeting all legal requirements.
Members of the management committee are either appointed or elected by the members of the organization. This usually occurs during annual general meetings as defined by the organizations constitution.
The management committee is always answerable to the whole organization. Most management committees provide year-end reports to showcase the accomplishments of the committee and how it affects the whole organization.
Why join a Management Committee?
So now you know a little more about the management committee. You are, however, wondering why you should join one. There are many amazing reasons you would join one but we think there are three main ones to really consider.
1. Commitment to the causeAn organization always has a cause which it serves, whether it be the local community, sporting group, or giving to international aid. Joining the management committee is a good way to help lead the organization toward their goals. It’s also great if you believe in that same cause, and you want to see that organization give as much to the cause as possible.
This can provide fulfilment that enables members to directly see the impact of their work. This can be seen through the decisions and activities carried out by the management committee.
2. Training groundBeing part of the management committee serves an excellent training ground for improving your leadership skills. Starting in smaller community groups, clubs or associations can give you a great experience. This can help you to learn how boards in charities and larger organizations work and what you can offer to them.
3. Increase networksManagement committees often meet regularly. It is a great place to get to know a different group of people that have similar passions and vision that you do. It can also help you increase your network, which can either help the cause your working for now or into the future.
All the other reasons
As we said before, there are so many reasons why you should join a management committee. These are just the three main ones that we believe make being on one rewarding. In the end, maybe you just want to join one to see how it works, as long as you find it rewarding it doesn’t matter the reason. Just enjoy your time.
Hey, thanks for reading, we hope this helps you in your quest for running one of the best committees. While you’re here, we would love for you to also check out our easy-to-use online board portal. Our software can help you implement and record your motions, minutes, and resolutions while giving you a safe and secure place to digitally store your documents.
Try Process PA for 30 days free today